Pages

Tuesday, July 16, 2013

What I've learned so far...



I like learning. Tonight, on my walk, I was reflecting on some of the things I've learned since I started training for the 5K about six weeks ago. Here's what I've learned about...
Approaching storm!

  • Commitment - I made a commitment to walk/run in the National Ovarian Cancer Coalition's 5K in September. To go along with that, I've also committed to train for that. Committing to the training means that I commit to exercising on a regular basis - which can sometimes be damn inconvenient. But it's a commitment.
  • Risk - Exercise involves risk. There's a risk of injury, or - in my case - risk of a severe drop in blood sugar. There's a risk of being kidnapped (I've watched too many crime dramas!). There's a risk of getting hit by a car. There's a risk of getting rained on (see photo), or stepping in a big pile of dog crap or on a wad of gum. 
  • Awareness - And so, to mitigate the risks, I've had to be more aware. I watch my step for all the crazy bumps and dips in the sidewalks. I watch my surroundings carefully while I walk - if a car slows down near me, I don't take my eyes off of it until I see what it's doing. I walk against traffic so I can keep an eye on oncoming cars. It's all part of being smart and being aware.
  • Sometimes I'll encounter gross things (and it's OK) - A few weeks ago, I walked past a very dead (that is, decaying) rodent of some kind on the sidewalk. It was pretty nasty - but - OK - just keep on going, sister, and don't dwell on it. I've had bugs fly into my face (and, I'm pretty sure, into my mouth) and divebomb my head. Also nasty - but - OK - just keep on going, sister, maybe after a good shriek.
  • Sometimes I'll do gross things (and it's OK) - There's a tremendous amount of snot produced when one is walking. I don't really understand why that is, but it's true. And so because carrying kleenexes when exercising is a bit ridiculous, guess what? I use my shirt sleeve to wipe my nose. IT'S OK. It's going into the laundry anyway, as soon as I get home. 
  • Learning new things - I've learned so much about our neighborhood just by walking around it. I've learned new ways to shortcut to our house, where the messy trees are that dump crap all over the sidewalk, and that our dog's vet is almost exactly 3/4 of a mile from our house. I've also learned that the middle part of my walk is the hardest for me, so I need good music there to keep me pushing on.
  • The exercise is good for more than just my body - It's so good for my soul, too. Sometimes I pray quite specifically while I walk. Other times, I just soak in the beauty of whatever is around me - someone's garden or a passing stranger's smile or the glow of a sunset. Tonight, during almost my entire walk, there was this gentle rain falling - somewhere between drizzle and outright rainfall. It was so refreshing to my body, but my spirit reveled in it, too - a reminder of God's care for the earth, even during the summer months. 
I'm guessing that everyone learns different things about themselves when they begin a venture like this. I'd love to hear from you - what are some things you've learned when you've stepped out into something new?


No comments:

Post a Comment