Pages

Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Keeping Up Appearances (Or Not)

One of the prettier things on a walk.

Alright, friends. Exercise is ugly business.

Yesterday, I was leaving our subdivision (via car), and there were these two 20-something young women speed-walking down the sidewalk. They were adorable. Bouncy ponytails, matching outfits, barely breaking a sweat - I bet their legs were even shaved.

So why is it that when I walk, I look like I feel like some sort of porpoise shoved into spandex? (Hey, it used to be a whale, so that's progress!) I bought some cute-colored exercise gear, down to the bright pink socks. I wear slimming black on the bottom. I have a kicky little headband for my hair. 

Tonight was really a winner (so far) for the category of Ugliest Walk. I left home at Prime Gnat Time. That's right - gnats - really thick along my walking route, getting up my nostrils, getting in my eyes, making me wave in front of my face like some sort of royal idiot who failed waving class. I'm really surprised no one driving by waved back to me. 

Also, it was (apparently) Prime Allergy Time. Snot everywhere. Grossness galore. Sorry, shirt! Sorry, everyone driving by watching me wipe my nose!

And I tried out my new armband phone-holder thingie for the first time tonight. I felt like it would make me feel and look really cool. Mainly, it made me very aware of just how much my upper arms sweat when I walk - the damn thing kept sliding down until I tightened it, and then wondered if I'd cut off circulation in my arm (I didn't). 

I came home and made the mistake of glancing in the mirror. OH THE HORROR. Red face. Hair a gnatty mess. Arms also gnatty. Mosquito bites in some unfortunate places. 

This is not an attractive activity.

In spite of all that, I am so very happy tonight - so very proud of myself for pushing through the gnats and inclines and red-facedness because I walked my furthest distance yet this evening. I scheduled it out, I thought ahead about how far I wanted to go and how long it would take, and then I did it. My walk tonight made me feel - more than ever before - as if achieving a 5K is within my grasp. And that is huge for me.

Sometimes, hard work ain't pretty. But still - worth it in the end!



2 comments:

  1. Good for you! The feeling of health is worth it. FWIW, I will always have these short, thick, tree stubs of legs BECAUSE I work out. But so wroth it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Thanks, Jenna! It is worth it, I agree. And if I ever have long hair again, maybe I can at least get a cute bouncy ponytail. ;-)

      Delete