Pages

Monday, June 24, 2013

In Which a Potato Flips Us Off

Dinner tonight had a message. Apparently.

In the never-ending quest to Eat at Home More, Hubby called me today wondering what he should pick up for dinner. He perused the meat department with me on the phone and we settled on steaks on the grill. Knowing we had various frozen potato options in the freezer that needed to get used, plus plenty of frozen veggies, steak seemed like a good fit overall. Nothing tastes like a good grilled steak, and Hubby can grill a steak, baby.

I pulled out the variety of frozen potatoes and spread them out on the baking sheet and this one caught my eye. Doesn't it look like it's flipping you off? If you disagree, flip the bird with your right hand, palm up, and hold your hand next to the photo.

OK. 

I called Hubby over to check it out, as if instead of a flipping-the-bird waffle fry, I had instead found an image of Jesus or Mary or St. Bartholomew. "Look!" I said, excitedly. "Do you see what I see?"

Hubby immediately picked up the fry and turned it around. Because apparently no one really likes being flipped off, even if it's by a waffle fry.

I started thinking about the waffle fry flipping me the bird and I thought, "You know, that's sort of what  it feels like carbs do to me now that I'm diabetic - they flip me off." 

WORK WITH ME, PEOPLE. 

My whole eating life now revolves around these damn carbs. How many? Too many? Not enough? What kind are they? Etc. etc. etc. Sometimes, it seems like the carbs are winning, running around me in circles like an impetuous child who's just learned how to flip someone off. 

But - haha, carbs! Not tonight. Tonight, I gave you and your middle finger to Hubby, and I enjoyed a few of a non-middle-fingered variety of potato. Plus some veggies. And a damn good steak.



No comments:

Post a Comment